Electrical Substation Familiarization
Class size: 8-12
Course length: 1-2 days
This program provides an overview of substation functions and equipment. It explains how substation equipment interacts with transmission and distribution lines, and the role of control centres in system operations.
This program will be attractive to utility workers who do not require in-depth knowledge of electrical substations but who will benefit from an improved understanding. Examples are Power Line Technicians, Shift Powerline Worker and/or other Technician classes or office workers that perform material ordering, budgetary or administrative duties in support of substation departments.
- Substation configuration and feeder operations
- Overview of station and area control operations
- Overview of station equipment functions
- Overview of typical equipment used in stations
- “Cutaway” look at some commonly used station equipment
- Visit a nearby typical station
- Discussion of the interaction required between various worker groups for effective substation operation